Thursday 20 March 2014

Overkill/revolutionary war






















It’s looking to be a good year for comics, (well for me anyway) and I’m getting all nostalgic.  First up we had a new ‘New Warriors’ which looks to be returning to it’s roots and the New Warriors was one of the first superhero books i collected monthly, it was definitely the first  trade paperback collection i ever got as i missed the first few issues.  Next Tim Seeley announces the ‘chaos’ Mini series, Chaos comics were my first proper journey into independent comics.  I was first drawn in during a ‘bad girl’ phase by Lady Death but, unlike other comics of the time i stayed for the characters and the stories so I have high hopes for this when it’s released.  The biggest and best surprise in this years comics (so far) is marvels release of ‘Revolutionary War’.  This comic is probably the most nostalgic comic that could have been released as the characters that marvel have used are from the very first comic’s I ever read and most of them haven’t been seen for quite some time.


The characters first appeared in a Marvel UK magazine called Overkill (although there were some US releases around the same time of the characters in their own books).  I remember borrowing a copy of the first issue of overkill and being hooked from then.  The magazine consisted of a few comic strips of new characters, these were:


Hells Angel (later dark angel)
Motor mouth & Killpower
the warheads
Digitec
Deathshead 2
the knights of Pendragon


All the story arcs were connected by an evil organisation known as Mys-Tech.  The Mys-Tech board of directors had all made a pact with the demon Mephisto for immortality but they were now looking for a way to get out of the contract whilst keeping their powers but in the mean time they have to make sure that they keep providing Mephisto with the souls he requires and stop him from finding out their plan.  The comic had everything, magic, heroes, robots & devils and good stories but i had a problem I couldn't get a copy of the first issue from anywhere.  My search lead me to small comic shop concession in a virgin store.  I didn't find a copy of issue one but i did find the American issues of motor mouth, dark Angel & Warheads,  these were the same story’s that were in Overkill but with more, the story’s had been rewritten  to include some of the American hero's, this.  This was my first introduction to characters such as the x-men.


I eventually got my hands on Overkill 1, the actual copy I had borrowed as the previous owner never carried on with his collection but I’m glad it took awhile to get otherwise I’d never had found the other ‘American’ characters.


Overkill finally came to an end and i had every issue except one (i still have them all) and most of the characters were never heard again.  Until now.
I have to confess that I’m currently behind in the series but I know that i won’t have the same problem as before as I've gone digital with my collection and i know i should be able to the back issues and catch up.  What I've read so far looks good, Mys-Tech are trying to get back and the old characters seem to be as good as i remember.  I hope they are going to stay around for a bit after the series.

Just one more memory so far, there are currently rumors of a ‘Banana Man’ movie in the pipe line.


No comments:

Post a Comment